The Pup Scout program is a fun and educational way to spend time with your new puppy while setting him up for success and preparing him to become a Dog Scout. Pup Scout is an honorary title and there is no badge associated with it.
Puppies must be 6 months old or younger for this title and ALL behaviors must have been taught to the dog using only positive reward-based methods.
A Pup Scout is eligible to earn the “Puppy Paddler” badge but must be re-tested and pass the official Dog Scout Certification to be eligible for any other specialty merit badges.
The skills required for a Pup Scout are very basic but provide a sound foundation to build on. Pup Scouts must be able to:
- wear a bandanna
- understand the reward/memory marker (preferably a clicker)
- respond to “sit” and “down” on cue
- stay quiet when alone for a few minutes
- allow grooming & handling of feet and ears
- be passed around to several people to be held
- interact safely with friendly dogs & people
- perform a restrained recall
- perform 1 additional trick or useful behavior (handler’s choice)
There is no check off sheet for the Pup Scout title. Simply ask a Troop Leader or Scoutmaster to verify that the dog can demonstrate the above behaviors. The Pup Scout title can also be completed using the regular process for video evaluation. Please see instructions for this process here.
Have fun teaching your Pup Scout the early skills he will need throughout his life!