These files will help you understand how to get badges with your dog and how to become certified to administer the testing for the badges.
Once the owner joins DSA the dog can start earning badges. The dog will need to earn the Dog Scout badge before paperwork for the other badges can be submitted, but all badge earning is optional. It is highly recommended though, because it’s fun for both the dog and the trainer!
- Is my dog a Dog Scout? — Not unless you’ve both passed the test!
- What is a “Cadet” Scout?
- How a Badge is Born — Why are badges $25 each?
- Cost Comparison Chart of Venues— Cost comparison of badges vs. titles
- Programs for Distance Learning — How to get a Scoutmaster to come to you
Getting the Dog Scout Badge/Title:
(You must get this before other badges can be earned)
- Guide to the Dog Scout Title — Step by step guide to earning the Dog Scout Title!
- Dog Scout Way
- Recommended Reading List
- Dog Scout Laws
- Guidelines for the Dog Scout Test — teaching the test behaviors
- Dog Scout Handler Test
The online test will only work for video submission. If a person is doing their check-out in person, they will need to use the document file.
- Dog Scout Title Check Sheet
- Dog Scout Official Uniform Order Form — For mail-in orders (certified Dog Scouts only!)
Getting Badges by video submission:
- How to Earn Badges by Video
- Tips on how to get acceptable video coverage — Read this if you are submitting a video to get a badge
Becoming a Scoutmaster or Evaluator:
Scoutmaster = Certified to give the Dog Scout test; Evaluator = Certified to award specialty merit badges
If you are interested in getting certified to administer the test for the Dog Scout badge (Scoutmaster) or any one or more of the specialty badges (Evaluator) please visit the Become a Scoutmaster/Evaluator page.
This YouTube channel has some examples of video submissions for several of the badges:
(read the notes for each one to see if there were any things that needed to be different).
Here is an example of the Dog Scout test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2LazYh-Ctg
Record Keeping Form
A helpful form for your personal use to keep track of the badges your dog has earned:
- Personal Badge Recording Sheet – updated 04-2014 (.pdf)
- Personal Badge Recording Sheet – updated 04-2014 (.xls)
- Personal Badge Recording Sheet – updated 04-2014 (.doc)